[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> The current beta version of Python is 2.5 . How can a Python
>     >> programmer minimize the number of changes that will be needed to run
>     >> his code in Python 3000?
>
> Since we don't know what Python 3000 will look like yet (it's still in very
> early development), that is a question that can't be answered today.
>
> Skip

It may not be answerable precisely, but it most likely can
be answered in general terms. As far as I can tell, there is
one really major, overwhelmingly large change in 3.0, and
that is making the str class unicode, with the corresponding
elimination of the 8-bit string type in favor of a new bytes type.
That also implies lots of changes in the I/O classes as well.

In comparison, the elimination of the print statement is a
"so-what". It can be handled by a conversion program.

Most of the rest of the changes seem to be either forward
compatable or easily handable by a conversion program.
The change in the raise statement, for example, can
be handled right now.

John Roth