Frederic Wenzel wrote:
> On 9/9/06, Hendrik van Rooyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>| I wrote a script on Linux that uses pyserial to read status messages
>>| from a serial line using readlines(). For now, it just displays what
>>| it gets on stdout:
>>| (...)
>>| ser = serial.Serial(port=1,
>>|                                  baudrate=1200,
>>|                                  rtscts=1,
>>
>>if this is enabling hardware flow control  try turning it off - at 1200 baud
>>you
>>should not need it
>

> Okay I disabled this for once.
>

>>| If the script does not time out there, I am not sure what else it is
>>| doing. It seems to be in a wait state it does not get out of.
>>
>>Sounds more and more like flow control hassle - can you lay your hands on a
>>break out box or a datascope?
>

> Unfortunately not. I will run a few more tests without rtscts though.
>
> I am actually not horribly worried about kicking the serial reading
> service every once in a while, but it would be better if it detected
> the "stall" state itself...

You could maybe have another program monitoring it - I seem to remember
the APSN database holding a UDP heartbeat program that might be readily
adaptable. No time to Goog^w use a popular search engine to look for it
just now, but you should have all the keywords ...

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119