Robert Kern wrote:

Arich Chanachai wrote:
> I have never seen a commercial license for a library

which stated that you did not have to pay the license fee until you have made that much money in sales from the software which you created, in part, from that library. I would be in favor of such a license, but I haven't seen anything of the sort.

http://www.fastio.com/licensePlain.html

See their license option for shareware developers.

I stand corrected. Nevertheless, my point stands as this is rare. In fact, this thread began as a result of Trolltech releasing PyQt for windows with a GPL license option in addition to the commercial one, and you will notice that there is no special *deferment provision for shareware developers *in the specification of commercial license.* *It would be a grand aid to developers if more companies took this noble and perhaps more effective approach (versus the gimme-money-now alternative which is quite dominant). I would argue that such a provision is in the interests of the toolkit/library developer as this would allow fellows to adopt their technology (and eventually pay for this adoption), fellows who otherwise could not.

-Arich