On Jun 29, 2:51 pm, Frank Millman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am doing something which works, but I have a gut feel that it cannot
> be relied upon. Can someone confirm this one way or the other.
[...]
> My worry is that the thread with the unhandled exception may
> eventually get garbage-collected, in which case the cleanup method
> will no longer be accessible. Could this happen, or does the thread
> stay in memory until termination of the main program?

I just noticed Diez's reply to a related question earlier today, where
he suggested wrapping the thread's run() method in a try/finally
construct. It works perfectly in my situation - if there is an
unhandled exception, my cleanup method is called before the exception
is raised. Thanks, Diez (even though you did not realise you were
helping me).

Frank