Kent Johnson:
>I've written web pages this way (using a pretty nice Java HTML
generation package) >and I don't
>recommend it. In my experience, this approach has several drawbacks:
>- as soon as the web page gets at all complex, the conceptual shift
from HTML to >code and back is
>difficult.
>- It is hard to work with a designer. The designer will give you
sample web pages >which then have to
>be hand-translated to code. Changes to the web page have to be located
in the code.
>- There is no separation of content and presentation

>IMO templating systems are a much better solution. They let you
express HTML in >HTML directly; you
>communicate with a designer in a language the designer understands;
you can >separate content and
>presentation

You make a series of good points I am well aware of; however, still
there are
places were direct HTML generation can be a reasonable approach (my use
case was the formatting of a SQL query): cases where the result will
never
ever touch a designer. Also, one could argue that the designer should
not
get in touch with the HTML, but just play with the CSS.
Finally, you can achieve separation between logic and presentation just
putting the
routines generating the HTML pages in a separate module, no need to use
different language.

                Michele Simionato