Aloha,

rbt wrote:
Not really a Python question... but here goes: Is there a way to read the content of a PDF file and decode it with Python? I'd like to read PDF's, decode them, and then search the data for certain strings.

First of all, http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=400CF2E3.29506EAE%40netsurf.de&output=gplain still applies here.

If you can deal with a very basic implementation of a pdf-lib you
might be interested in
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfplayground

In the CVS (or the current snapshot) you can find in
ppg/Doc/text_extract.txt an example for text extraction.

 >>> import pdffile
 >>> import pages
 >>> import zlib
 >>> pf = pdffile.pdffile('../pdf-testset1/a.pdf')
 >>> pp = pages.pages(pf)
 >>> c = zlib.decompress(pf[pp.pagelist[0]['/Contents']].stream)
 >>> op = pdftool.parse_content(c)
 >>> sop = [x[1] for x in op if x[0] in ["'", "Tj"]]
 >>> for a in sop:
        print a[0]

Wishing a happy day
        LOBI