klappnase wrote:
Oh, from the reading docs I had thought XP would use unicode:

It depends on the API that the application uses. Windows has the "ANSI" (*) API (e.g. CreateFileExA) and the "Unicode" API (CreateFileExW). The ANSI API uses what Python calls the "mbcs" encoding; Windows calls it the ANSI code page (CP_ANSI). The Unicode API expects WCHAR pointers.

Python uses the *W APIs since Python 2.3 (I believe), except that
maybe os.access was overlooked in 2.3 as well, so it uses the *W
API for access only in 2.4. At run-time, it dynamically decides
which API to use, and uses *W on NT+ (i.e. NT, W2k, WXP, W2k3, ...).

* On Windows 9x, the encoding is ``mbcs''.

Correct.

* On Mac OS X, the encoding is ``utf-8''.

Correct.

* On Unix, the encoding is the user's preference according to the
result of nl_langinfo(CODESET), or None if the nl_langinfo(CODESET)
failed.

Correct. In the latter case, it falls back to sys.getdefaultencoding().

When on windows the filesystemencoding differs from what I get in
UnicodeHandler.sysencoding

That could happen on OS X.

Tk seems to be pretty smart on handling unicode, so using unicode for
everything that's displayed on tk widgets should be ok (I hope).

So do I.

Regards,
Martin