Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
news.sydney.pipenetworks.com a Ãcrit :

I looked for a new language for my hobby programming.  I used to use
Turbo Pascal for 10 years and then C++ for 6 years.  A couple of
weeks ago, I narrowed my decision to C#, Ruby, and Python.  At the
moment, I want to go with Python, but you can definitely see that
it's the oldest one: Many parts of its syntax are awkward and look
like patchwork.

You mean you think Ruby syntax is less awkward then Python ?

It is actually. Ruby's syntax is mostly consistent and coherent, and there is much less special cases than in Python.

Really, well I must be wrong. Each to his own opinion then.

Now it's also much more difficult to grasp Ruby for programmers coming from procedural languages, but that's another story.

So being more consistent and coherent means being more complex ? I'm glad python worried about the complex part before the consistent and conherent part.

Maybe you should add Perl to your list of languages to learn especially after your complaints about the decorator syntax.

I guess you stopped your exploration of Ruby at the first sign of 'special chars' syntax.

well not really. I stopped when it started to look to much like perl. I hate too much punctuation in syntax. I quite like the @ in ruby better then the self in python though, but at the end of the day, i don't really care that much whether it's an @ or a self.

I don't like Perl, I still prefer to use Python (over Ruby) for a number of good and less good reasons, but I somewhat share Fernando's (and some other's people here) concerns about the future of MyFavoriteLanguage.

Fair enough. It seems many people want to trade places with the BDFL. I don't. May his god bless him ;-)

Huy