Paul Rubin wrote:
Reinhold Birkenfeld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Any takers for tally()?

Well, as a non-native speaker, I had to look up this one in my dictionary. That said, it may be bad luck on my side, but it may be that this word is relatively uncommon and there are many others who would be happier with increment.

It is sort of an uncommon word.  As a US English speaker I'd say it
sounds a bit old-fashioned, except when used idiomatically ("let's
tally up the posts about accumulator messages") or in nonstandard
dialect ("Hey mister tally man, tally me banana" is a song about
working on plantations in Jamaica).  It may be more common in UK
English.  There's an expression "tally-ho!" which had something to do
with British fox hunts, but they don't have those any more.

Has anyone _not_ heard Jeff Probst say, "I'll go tally the votes"?!

:)

--Max