Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
Jimmy schrieb:
On May 23, 3:05 pm, Andrew Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jimmy wrote:
Hi to all
python now has grown to a versatile language that can
accomplish tasks for many different purposes. However,
AFAIK, little is known about its ability of kernel coding.
So I am wondering if python can do some kernel coding that
used to be the private garden of C/C++. For example, can python
intercept the input of keyboard on a system level? someone told me
it's a kernel thing, isn't it?
http://wiki.python.org/moin/elmer

well, straightly speaking, how can I know a key is pressed on a system-
level if
using python?

What has that todo with kernel programming? You can use e.g. pygame to get keystrokes. Or under linux, read (if you are root) the keyboard input file - I've done that to support several keyboards attached to a machine.

And the original question: no, python can't be used as kernel programming language. Amongst other reasons, performance & the GIL prevent that.

Diez

http://www.kernel-panic.it/programming/py-pf/

Of course you can code kernel routines in Python -- you are just calling the underlying C interface. The GIL means you have to manage threadsafety on your own -- it doesn't imply kernel programming can not be done.

I'm not talking about writing an OS in Python (though a simple DOS-like OS is very possible). Nor would I suggest writing device drivers in Python -- but of course you can call kernel routines and manage some kernel resources effectively. Python's IPC libraries expose kernel functionality.