Matthew Woodcraft wrote:
Ben Finney  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

No, he retracted the *insult* and restated the *advice* as a distinct
statement. I think it's quite worthwhile to help people see the
difference.

Ben, it was quite clear from Anders' post that he knows about
__nonzero__ . That's why the so-called advice is insulting. The
original phrasing was just the icing on the cake.

-M-

I got just the opposite -- it seems quite clear to me that Anders did *not* know about __nonzero__, and perhaps doesn't know about double-underscore functions in general...

Here's his quote:

> Okay, so you have this interesting object property that you often need
> to test for, so you wrap the code for the test up in a method, because
> that way you only need to write the complex formula once.  I'm with
> you so far.  But then you decide to name the method "__nonzero__",
> instead of some nice descriptive name?  What's up with that?

His last question, "What's up with that?" is the indicator. His comments after that, such as

> Even if we find out that C.__nonzero__ is called, what was it that
> __nonzero__ did again?

reinforce the impression that he is unaware of the double-underscore functions and what they do and how they work. One can find out when they are called with a simple search of the python documentation.

> Better dig up the class C documentation and find out, because there is
> no single obvious interpretation of what is means for an object to
> evaluate to true.

If you are using somebody else's code, and maybe even your own, you should always check the docs if you don't know/can't remember what a function does.
~Ethan~