Kirk Strauser wrote:
Short question:

Is there a good library for generating HTML-style tables with the equivalent
of colspans, automatically sized columns, etc. that can render directly to
PDF?

Longer question:

I'm re-doing a big chunk of locally-written code.  I have a
report-generating function that takes a list of lists of lists as input and
returns either a PDF, an HTML table, or an Excel spreadsheet as requested. For example, input might look like:

    makereport('html',
               headers=['Invoice number', 'Customer', 'Price'],
               data=[
                     [['123', 'John Doe', '$50.00'],
                      ['Ordered on 2008-01-01 via the website']],
                     [['124', 'Peter Bilt', '$25.99'],
                      ['Mail via African swallow']]
               ])

  <snip>

Now, I have a similar transformation to PDF via pdflatex.  This works fairly
well but requires a bunch of temp files and subprocesses, and I've never
been 100% happy with the LaTeX output (you have to calculate your own
column widths, for instance).  Since I plan to re-write this anyway, I'd
like to find a more widely used library if one was available.

<snip>

Short answer: LaTeX should be good. Use XML source; XSLT to TeXML; TeXML to LaTeX ( uses a python program); compile to PDF.

Longer answer: Can you provide a minimal example of the kind of
LaTeX source you would ideally like ?

If not, your problem is with LaTeX itself, which has if anything __too_many__ ways of controlling tables rather than inadequate ways. If so, we may be able to help with the rather arcane transformation into TeXML format.

As for all the temp files that LaTeX creates, they are easily dealt
with using a makefile or whatever.

Bye for now,
Ken