Benjamin wrote:
On Oct 8, 12:49 pm, Bruno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi!

I have big .txt file which i want to read, process and write to another .txt
file.
I have done script for that, but im having problem with croatian characters
(Š,Đ,Ž,Č,Ć).

Can you show us what you have so far?

How can I read/write from/to file in utf-8 encoding?

import codecs
data = codecs.open("my-utf8-file.txt").read()

I read file with fileinput.input.

thanks

I have tried with codecs, but when i use encoding="utf-8" i get this error on word : život

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\getcontent.py", line 43, in <module>
    encoding="utf-8").readlines()
  File "C:\Python25\Lib\codecs.py", line 626, in readlines
    return self.reader.readlines(sizehint)
  File "C:\Python25\Lib\codecs.py", line 535, in readlines
    data = self.read()
  File "C:\Python25\Lib\codecs.py", line 424, in read
    newchars, decodedbytes = self.decode(data, self.errors)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x9e in position 0: unexpected code byte

i just need to read from file1.txt, process (its simple text processing) some words and write them to file2.txt without loss of croatian characters. (šđžčć)