Tim Golden wrote:
Martin wrote:
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tim Golden
wrote:

Alternatively, you might be able to commandline control
mencoder or ffmpeg itself to do this. Not sure, but there
must be *something* among those millions of command-line
options!

FFmpeg--yes!

Unfortunately it looks like I have the same problem as I do with pyglet - it's not support by my host.

It looks like I might have to process the files locally and then upload them. Painful.

Unless anyone else has any suggestions?

Well, since as far as I can see your host won't let you
install anything which isn't there already, you're down to
implementing a Python-only module to read a frame from a
.wmv. Which is, I would suggest, a not inconsiderable task.

Perhaps pre-filtering is the best solution after all.

TJG

Thanks Lawrence and Tim,

The irony is that I already have a Python only solution - it just requires 2.5!

I've actually worked out a way to extract and compress just the thumbnails from my local server and upload them without having to re-upload the video files (which took days) so I'm happy.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Martin