len wrote:
On Nov 13, 7:32 pm, Ethan Furman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

len wrote:

Hi all;

[snip]

Here is my problem.  I need to start doing this in the really world at
my company converting some older cobol system and data to python
programs and MySQL.  I have gotten past packed decimal fields and
various other little tidbits.  My problem is the data files aren't
little three of four field files but Customer File with 98 fields
etc.  I understand building dictionaries and building with zip and I
have even seen a reference to using __setattr__ in an empty class but
I'm having a hard time moving past the little code snippts to real
code.

[snip]

Thanks Len

I've never had the (mis?)fortune to work with COBOL -- what are the
files like?  Fixed format, or something like a dBase III style?  I
presume also that you only need access to them in COBOL format long
enough to transfer them into MySQL -- true?

~ethan~

Files are fixed format no field delimiters, fields are position and
length
records are terminated by newline.  In cobol the read statement which
read
a record from the file automaticly mapped the date to the fieldnames
in
the cobol file definition.

[snip]

Len

Are the cobol file definitions available in a file that can be parsed, or are they buried in the source code?

What type of data is in the files?  Integer, float, character, date, etc.

Once you have the data out, will you need access these same cobol files in the future? (i.e. more data is being added to them that you will need to migrate)

~ethan~