Martin v. Löwis wrote:
In one has both 2.x and 3.0 installed, would it easy to install 'lib.py'
for both?

It's currently not possible to install something for 2.x; you have to
specifically install it for every value of x (e.g. 2.5 or 2.6).

That is what I meant.

It's the same for 3.0: you have to install it separately.
Doing so is fairly easy. You just run "setup.py install" multiple
times

In the right place, with the right option to choose a different Python each time. I eventually found the apparent answers in Installing Python Modules, but only after reading well past 'the above command is everything you need to get out of this manual' ;-(.

Hitherto, I have only unzipped library packages directly into the desired site-packages directory. This has been easier and safer than setup.py, but will not automatically run 2to3 over the package. Hence my question.

Terry