James Stroud wrote:
Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 13:57:54 -0800, James Stroud wrote:

Rasmus Fogh wrote:

ll1 = [y,1]
y in ll1
True
ll2 = [1,y]
y in ll2
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ValueError: The truth value of an array with more than one element is
ambiguous. Use a.any() or a.all()
I think you could be safe calling this a bug with numpy.

Only in the sense that there are special cases where the array elements are all true, or all false, and numpy *could* safely return a bool. But special cases are not special enough to break the rules. Better for the numpy caller to write this:

a.all() # or any()

instead of:

try:
    bool(a)
except ValueError:
    a.all()

as they would need to do if numpy sometimes returned a bool and sometimes raised an exception.

I'm missing how a.all() solves the problem Rasmus describes, namely that the order of a python *list* affects the results of containment tests by numpy.array. E.g. "y in ll1" and "y in ll2" evaluate to different results in his example. It still seems like a bug in numpy to me, even if too much other stuff is broken if you fix it (in which case it apparently becomes an "issue").

It's an issue, if anything, not a bug. There is no consistent implementation of bool(some_array) that works in all cases. numpy's predecessor Numeric used to implement this as returning True if at least one element was non-zero. This works well for bool(x!=y) (which is equivalent to (x!=y).any()) but does not work well for bool(x==y) (which should be (x==y).all()), but many people got confused and thought that bool(x==y) worked. When we made numpy, we decided to explicitly not allow bool(some_array) so that people will not write buggy code like this again.

The deficiency is in the feature of rich comparisons, not numpy's implementation of it. __eq__() is allowed to return non-booleans; however, there are some parts of Python's implementation like list.__contains__() that still expect the return value of __eq__() to be meaningfully cast to a boolean.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco