Helmut Jarausch wrote:
I know that processing unicode is inherently slower,
but still I was surprised that it's so much slower.

Is there any hope Python-3.0 will get faster or
is the main potential for optimizations exhausted, already?

That's not to start a flame war!
I know computers get faster, we human beings don't (me, at least)

Don't worry, it's going to get faster. Our top priority was feature completeness and stability. With the first final version out we are focusing on bug fixes and speed ups. We have a fair bunch of speed patches and ideas in our work queue. For example Mark and Victor are working on long integer optimizations, Alexandre and I are focusing on the new IO library and so on.

Some of the speedup will make it into 3.0.1 and future patch releases of the 3.0 series. Larger and more complex chances can be expected for Python 3.1. There are interesting experiments with LLVM and threaded code (not to confuse with multithreading) going on.

Grüße an die andere Seite von Aachen
Christian