Any special reasons?

Because it is there (at least on my Debian box)?

  t...@rubbish:~$ python
  Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, May 28 2008, 08:35:32)
  [GCC 4.2.4 (Debian 4.2.4-1)] on linux2
  Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for
  more information.

  >>> import time
  >>> time.strftime('%c')
  'Sat Dec 13 09:35:03 2008'
  >>> time.strftime('%e')
  '13'

Taken from[1]

  The full set of format codes supported varies across
  platforms, because Python calls the platform C library's
  strftime() function, and platform variations are common.

So if your underlying C implementation of strftime() supports "%e", then Python will. My guess is that the same applies to time.strftime as it does to datetime.strftime

The docs list ones that are fairly cross-platform. However, it would seem that not all platforms support "%e"

-tkc

[1]
http://docs.python.org/library/datetime.html#module-datetime