Oltmans wrote:
On Jan 8, 1:55 am, "Sebastian Bassi" <sba...@clubdelarazon.org> wrote:

In general you don't store the password, but a "hash" of it. Then when the user logs-in, you hash it and compare the result with the stored hash. About hash, use sha, look here:http://docs.python.org/library/hashlib.html#module-hashlib

But the thing is that I will ask the user for user name and password only once i.e. when they start the application for the first time. After that, I'm not supposed to ask the user name and password again.
So in this scenario, if I store a hash on the disk I cannot retrieve
plain-text string back from my hash as I've to send user name and password to the server in plain-text.

Is the application itself password-protected? If not, then there's no
point in encrypting the username and password for the server in a file
because anyone could just run the application after the first time and
use it to access the server.