MRAB wrote:
Andrew Robert wrote:
Hi Everyone,

We have a process that does a copy of a share from one location to
another.

This usually works fine but can occasionally bomb if a file is opened
by a user somewhere.

Is there a way to code detection of open files and force a close?

The files in question are typically PDF files if that matters.

Any pointers you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated.

If the file is open then an exception will be raised. You could catch
it, sleep a while, and then retry, or continue with the other files and
then come back to it and retry. It might take more than one retry.
Anyway, it's a bad idea to force a close, even if that's possible.

The usual scenario is that a user will leave a PDF open and then go home for the evening. They are simply viewing and not modifying the file. When the XCOPY executes, it signals a failure and subsequent scheduler job abend.

What I need to do is detect if files are open for viewing and force a close before the copy operation is attempted.

Sleeping and retrying the copy is not an option because the user will likely leave it open all night.

Is there a way to detect the open files and close them out?