Ran 193 tests in 27.841s

OK

real    0m28.150s
user    0m26.606s
sys     0m0.917s
[rpt...@localhost tests]$
magical how the total python time is less than the real time.

time(1) also measures the Python startup and shutdown time, so
I don't quite see the magic :-(

yes stupid me :(

FWIW: VMware VMs need the VMware tools installed to make their
clocks work more or less. With Linux, you need some extra tweaks
as well, otherwise the clocks are just completely unreliable.

I do have the tools installed and from what I can see the clock isn't so far off. At least when I run the two tests side by side the vm run always finishes first. Of course that could be because vmware is stealing cpu somehow.

See these notes:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?language=en_US&externalId=1420
http://communities.vmware.com/message/782173

--