On Feb 11, 2:51 pm, Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com> wrote:
W. eWatson wrote:
Steve Holden wrote:
W. eWatson wrote:
My program in IDLE bombed with:
==============
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1403, in __call__
    return self.func(*args)
  File
"C:\Sandia_Meteors\New_Sentinel_Development\Sentuser_Utilities_Related\sentuser\sentuserNC25-Dev4.py",
line 552, in OperationalSettings
    dialog = OperationalSettingsDialog( self.master, set_loc_dict )
  File
"C:\Sandia_Meteors\New_Sentinel_Development\Sentuser_Utilities_Related\sentuser\sentuserNC25-Dev4.py",
line 81, in __init__
    tkSimpleDialog.Dialog.__init__(self, parent)
  File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\tkSimpleDialog.py", line 69, in __init__
    self.wait_visibility() # window needs to be visible for the grab
  File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 415, in wait_visibility
    self.tk.call('tkwait', 'visibility', window._w)
TclError: window ".34672232" was deleted before its visibility changed
===============
It runs fine in pythonWin performing the same entry operation. Open a
menu,  select an item to open a dialog, select a select button in the
dialog, press OK to leave the dialog. Boom, as above.
(This does not mean pythonWin doesn't have problems of its own. ) If I
just execute the code (double click on the py file, the console shows no
problems. IDLE is unhappy.
Another side to this is that I use WinMerge to find differences between
my last saved copy and the current copy. I found the current copy had
two lines where a abc.get() was changed to abc.get. This was undoubtedly
from briefly using the pyWin editor, when I mis-hit some keys. Yet pyWin
had no trouble executing the program. My guess is that while briefly
editing there, I hit some odd combination of keys that produced,
perhaps, an invisible character that pyWin ignores.
Not the 34672232 window is a dialog that I closed by pressing OK. I
would again guess, that, if there is a problem, it occurs in the code
that destroys the dialog.
Well you have to remember that you are trying to run a windowed GUI
under the control of another windows GUI, so it isn't surprising that
you hit trouble.
With IDLE the issue will be that IDLE already created a main window
before your program started running. With PythonWin you are using two
different toolkits, so it isn't really surprising that breaks down -
there will be two entirely separate main loops competing with each other.
Not quite. I take down IDLE when I run pyWin, and vice versa.
The two separate loops being PyWin (which uses MFC) and your program
(which uses Tkinter). You just can't mix GUIs in the same process like
that, sorry.

regards
 Stedve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119

Deja-vu!

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-March/076069.html
The question now is what can I do about it? reboot?

Just to re-iterate the answer I provided the answer to above, I'm using Tkinter for the program's GUI.

--
                               W. eWatson

                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>