FWIW, Bazaar and Mercurial both have about half a dozen C modules. (Most
of Bazaar's are Pyrex, though, not straight C.)

Thanks for the update -- it's been about 6 months since I played much with Bazaar. Hopefully these C module help with some of the speed issues that plagued bzr in my past experimentations.

The next release of Mercurial will add support for running without them.
 (Bazaar already supports that, of course.)

Wonderful to hear...I'd love to be able to install mercurial on my web-host's machine, but it's currently not readily possible. A pure-python implementation (or at least fallback) will give me this option.

Thanks!

-tkc