runes wrote:
Seems like criticising the manual is som kind of heresy.  So be it.

Don't think so, but this being open source I suspect that Fredrik was trying to get them improved.

You know, the Re documentation contains many pages. Ufortunately I
didn't dwell with the first introductory paragraph, I was trying to
solve a particular problem. I'm not that used to looking for links to
external sources in the manual either. Unable? I wasn't looking for a
Howto in the manual. And frankly, 'python regex howto" in Google is
quicker way.

Right, so you found what you needed, you just think it should be referenced from the main docs. I think this is a good idea.

Of course I cannot suggest a better place for the link.

Come on, of course you can. All you need to say is whereabouts in the re documentation it should mention the How-To.

Writing technical documents always trigger the question: Who is the
audience. I accept that I may not be the primary audience.  If I should
suggest anything, it would be that the examples section is expanded.

Again, you would be a good candidate to suggest changes, since you've just been learning that part of Python.

Generally: I have got my experiences with the Python Manual over the
the last 30 months Python beeing my preferred language. One of them is
that I have to look elsewhere.

But anyone is allowed to suggest improvements. Please don't be deterred because you think people were trying to put you off. The documentation contains links for suggesting improvements. That is a working channel for criticism and suggestion (and it's how many others first got their names in the python documentation, including myself). See

  http://docs.python.org/doc/doc.html
  http://docs.python.org/doc/about.html

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/