I'm modifying a Tkinter Python program that uses hard coded initial values for several widgets. For example, latitude = 40. My plan is to put the names and values for configuration purposes into a file. For example, a pseudo statement like the one just given. ConfigObj provides a mechanism for it.

I am only at an early stage of learning Tkinter, but it looks like a hang up is in the use of control variables passed between widgets and non-Tkinter objects that setup up the widget and retrieve the changed values. Roughly, the main loop contains code like self.longitude = 40. Non-Tkinter objects set up the parameters to the widgets, and when a widget* is complete the setup program resets the main loop globals. As I see it, it looks like IntVar, etc. used must be hard coded, as in the original program, to preserve types like boolean, strings, integers, floats, etc. It's either that or use of eval or some like function. Comments?

* For example, in one setup program, I see code like this after its call to a dialog returns:

        try:
            s = dialog.stopVar.get()
            d = [ int(x) for x in s.split(":") ]
            self.stop_time = datetime.time(d[0],d[1],d[2])

stop_time is a string like "10:30:15".
--
                               W. eWatson

                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>