RT wrote:
I have been doing Python development at work for several years. I
started with the official documentation and tutorial, .... by
necessity, the examples tend to be rather simple and none of them
really explain the process of developing complete, industrial
strength Python applications.

Can you recommend any books or articles that you have found offer
useful advice on program structure, design and use of classes or any
other features or best practices  that you feel are important for
professional Python development.

Very Python-Technical:
I'd go with the "Python Cookbook" if you haven't read through it.
Read it sequentially, leaving a section only once you are sure it
won't tell you anything interesting.  The introductions to the
sections are great.

More general purpose:
I've read some of "Expert Python Programming" (not enough to have a
solid opinion about it (except to know I feel it is neither junk nor
perfect).  You might see if it is to your liking (check Table of
Contents, read sample chapter).

Even more general purpose:
As Martin P. Hellwig has already commented, learning unit-test based
programming can be a huge step forward.  Another extra-language
critical decision is source control.  If you don't do it now, learn
and use it (it can make you more fearless when refactoring).

I certainly like doing agile development to the extent I can get to
teams where I can do that.  Try any parts of it that you can (especially
those parts that seem the most wrong to you).  Your goal in trying agile
practices (to my way of thinking) is to get to the point that you know
in your bones "why these practices work."  Once you know why they work,
you will be in a position to reject some of them, but introspection
without trying will have you skipping too many good ideas.

--Scott David Daniels
scott.dani...@acm.org