On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Daniel Fetchinson <
fetchin...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > It's GSoC time again, and I've had lots of interested students asking
> about
> > doing on project on improving 2to3. What kinds of improvements and
> features
> > would you like to see in it which student programmers could accomplish?
>
> Last time I used 2to3 (maybe not the latest version) it didn't know
> what to do with string exceptions. I'd suggest converting
>
> # py 2
> raise 'my string'

> # py 3
> raise Exception( 'my string' )
>
> And notifying the user that this conversion has been done so that
> he/she can take appropriate action, i.e. this conversion should not
> pass silently.

String exceptions raised a DeprecationWarning in Python 2.5 and were removed
in Python 2.6 (
http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html#porting-to-python-2-6) and 2to3 was
meant for valid 2.6+ code, so this isn't really a problem.

In terms of potential enhancements, a fairly simple one would be a warning
for classes that implement __cmp__ but not the rich comparisons. Even better
would be auto-generating the rich comparison methods for these classes.