Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:51:24 -0700, Emile van Sebille wrote:
<snip>
I refactor constantly during development to avoid code reuse through
cut-n-paste, but once I've got it going, whether it's 1000 or 6000
lines, it doesn't matter as long as it works.

If you've been refactoring during development, and gotten to the point where it is working,

yes, but

clear and maintainable,

not necessarily

then there's very little refactoring left to do.

Again, not necessarily. I often find it easier to refactor old code when I'm maintaining it to better understand how to best implement the change I'm incorporating at the moment. The refactoring certainly may have been done when the code was originally written, but at that time refactoring would have only served to pretty it up as it already worked.

I don't think anyone suggests that you refactor code that doesn't need refactoring.

That's exactly what I read the OP as wanting to do. That's why I was asking why. So, I think the question becomes, when does code need refactoring?

Emile