I'm new to python and I'm trying to come up with a function that takes
a given number of players in a game and returns all possible unique
pairings. Here's the code I've come up with so far, but I'm not
getting the output I'd like to:

def all_pairings(players):
        cleanlist = []
        for i in range(players):
                cleanlist.append(i)
        return cleanlist
        start = 0
        follow = start +1
        finallist = []
        while follow <= len(cleanlist)-1:
                for player in cleanlist:
                        mini = cleanlist[start],cleanlist[follow]
                        finallist.append(mini)
                        follow +=1
                start+=1
        return finallist

If I were to execute the function with all_pairings(4), I want to get
the output [[0,1],[0,2],[0,3],[1,2],[1,3],[2,3]. Instead, I get
[0,1,2,3] with the code I currently have. Can you guys help me out?
Also, if my code is considered ugly or redundant by this community,
can you make suggestions to clean it up?