At 06:15 PM 4/15/2009 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
The much more common use case is that of wanting to have a base package
installation which optional add-ons that live in the same logical
package namespace.

Please see the large number of Zope and PEAK distributions on PyPI as minimal examples that disprove this being the common use case. I expect you will find a fair number of others, as well.

In these cases, there is NO "base package"... the entire point of using namespace packages for these distributions is that a "base package" is neither necessary nor desirable.

In other words, the "base package" scenario is the exception these days, not the rule. I actually know specifically of only one other such package besides your mx.* case, the logilab ll.* package.