David Lyon wrote:

What if I decide to write only to Python 3?

Fair enough. But don't forget it is open source.

So what?

Let me ask these two questions...

- What about the use case where somebody likes the code and wants to use it on Python 2.5?

A patch, a fork, whatever.

- Should not that user be able to share back with other Python 2.5 users?

Probably. But not necessarily on the same project or repository.
Especially if the port is not supported by the original/trunk developer.

If anything.... my suggestion promotes preserving the resources
of the original developer rather than letting them expire just
because their operating system does....

I think your idea would be very costing in terms of man-years, and the net result would be... entropy, chaos, and a lot of CO2 :-)