On 4/18/05, Jeff Epler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 01:40:43PM -0700, Xah Lee wrote:
> > i have rewrote the Python's re module documentation.
> > See it here for table of content page:
> > http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_re-write/lib/module-re.html
>
> For those who have long ago consigned Mr. Lee to a killfile, it looks
> like he's making an honest attempt to improve Python's documentation
> here.

Alright, I feel like I'm feeding the trolls just by posting in this
thread. Just so that nobody else has to read the "revised" docs, no it
doesn't:

1) He didn't really change anything besides the intro page and
deleting the matching vs. searching page and the examples page. He
also put a couple of <hr> breaks into the doc.

2) notes like "NOTE TO DOC WRITERS: The doc sayz: ..." followed by the
same drum he's been beating for a while, instead of actually editing
the section to be correct.

3) adding "MAY NEED AN EXAMPLE HERE" instead of actually putting one in

> Mr Lee, I hope you will submit your documentation changes to python's
> patch tracker on sourceforge.net.  I don't fully agree with some of what
> you've written (e.g., you give top billing to the use of functions like
> re.search while I would encourage use of the search method on compiled
> RE objetcts, and I like examples to be given as though from interactive
> sessions, complete with ">>>" and "..."), but nits can always be picked
> and I'm not the gatekeeper to Python's documentation.

I'd suggest that he actually make an effort at improving the docs
before submitting them.

Peace
Bill Mill
bill.mill at gmail.com