Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
In message <towb-ea7906.14423909052...@news.individual.de>, Tobias Weber wrote:

the guideline (PEP 8) is hard wrap to 7x characters.

Nowadays I set my maximum line lengths, and the widths of my terminal windows to 100 characters. And I'm wondering whether or not to go wider still. After all, the screens can take it.

But the printers cannot.  And I wind up quietly cursing code writers
who figure the only window I look at is the one they put the code in.
In other words, I have a large enough screen to look at two pages
side-by-side, and somebody decides he wants to use 2/3 of that width.
Think of your reader, not just your operational environment, unless
you are programming on your own and don't care to share.

--Scott David Daniels
scott.dani...@acm.org