Ben Finney wrote:

My understanding of Esmail's original message was that, like many of us
on first running ‘pylint’ against an existing code base, the output is
astonishingly verbose and tedious to read. By the above I presume he's
being a good forum member and trying to find a minimal example that
shows the problem clearly :-)

Yes, that is my intention .. because the code I was checking was rather
long, combined with the long pylint output it would make for a rather
big posting.

I'm going to go back and re-read PEP 8 and see if I perhaps don't
recall the right guidelines since no one else here seems to have had
the same observation.

Esmail