"steve" <st...@nospam.au> writes:

> So far I've been pointed to a discussion of C, a discussion of DOS,
> and a discussion of Windows NT 4. Great. Glad to see that you know how
> to use the Internet.

Says the person who doesn't want to attach an identity to his messages.
(Yes, that's ad hominem if used to dismiss your argument; but it's *you*
that is raising “know how to use the internet”, so at that point you
become fair game, IMO.)

> Is that all there is? You're going to leave the tutorial because you
> can mount an obscure justification and it makes sense to someone who
> already knows what it means? Tell me it isn't so :~(

Who is “you”? Someone who knows how to use the internet surely can tell
that comp.lang.python isn't the place to come expecting *changes* in the
Python tutorial.

You started out asking how to *interpret* it, which is fine for this
forum; but discussing it here isn't going to lead automatically to any
*midification* to a document developed within the core of Python.

--
 \              “Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very |
  `\                        important that you do it.” —Mahatma Gandhi |