On 19 juin, 21:05, Christian Heimes <li...@cheimes.de> wrote:
> I've seen a single Python process using the full capacity of up to 8
> CPUs. The application is making heavy use of lxml for large XSL
> transformations, a database adapter and my own image processing library
> based upon FreeImage.

interesting...

> Of course both lxml and my library are written with the GIL in mind.
> They release the GIL around every call to C libraries that don't touch
> Python objects. PIL releases the lock around ops as well (although it
> took me a while to figure it out because PIL uses its own API instead of
> the standard macros). reportlab has some optional C libraries that
> increase the speed, too. Are you using them?

I don't. Or maybe I did, but I have no clue what to test.
Do you have a real example, some code snippet to can prove/show
activity on multiple core ?
I accept your explanation, but I also like experiencing :)

> By the way threads are evil
> (http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2006/EECS-2006-1.pdf) and
> not *the* answer to concurrency.

I don't see threads as evil from my little experience on the subject,
but we need them.
I'm reading what's happening in the java world too, it can be
interesting.

Olivier