protocol = {"start":initialiser,"hunt":hunter,"classify":classifier,....other
states}

def state_machine():
    next_step = protocol["start"]()
    while True:
        next_step = protocol[next_step]()

Woot ! I'll keep this one in my mind, while I may not be that concerned by speed unlike the OP, I still find this way of doing very simple and so intuitive (one will successfully argue how I was not figuring this out by myself if it was so intuitive). Anyway I wanted to participated to this thread, as soon as I saw 'due to python limitations' in the title, I foretold a hell of a thread ! This is just provocation ! :-)

JM