On 7/29/2009 4:14 AM, gregorth wrote:
Hi all,

for a scientific application I need to save a video stream to disc for
further post processing. My cam can deliver 8bit grayscale images with
resolution 640x480 with a framerate up to 100Hz, this is a data rate
of 30MB/s. Writing the data uncompressed to disc hits the data
transfer limits of my current system and creates huge files. Therefore
I would like to use video compression, preferably fast and high
quality to lossless encoding. Final file size is not that important.
Try googling realtime greyscale video codec...
Because of the hardware I am bound to WinXP.
There's always a way to run linux :p

I already tried pymedia for encoding to mpeg2, however I only managed
to get a framerate of about 30-40fps (on a 1.8GHz dual core). There is
still room for improvements in my code, but before trying hard I want
to ask for advices or other possibilities. I also found gstreamer with
pygst python bindings, which seems to be more modern (and performant?)
package than pymedia. I did not yet try it, especially since I didn't
find a simple code example of how to use it for my use case. Can
somebody give me a hint?
Video encoding is not my specialty, but my recommendation here is to drop python because of its slow speed and work in c as much as possible.

I also found huffyuv or lagarith which is provided as a directshow
codec for Windows. Can somebody give me a hint how to use a directshow
codec with python?
Not me, sorry :(
Never worked directly with directshow (no pun intended).

I am a novice with video encoding. I found that few codecs support
gray scale images. Any hints to take advantage of the fact that I only
have gray scale images?
Greyscale PNG or BMP compression.

Thanks for any help
Don't know if this counts as help, but you're welcome!

Gregor

Marcus