Robert Kern wrote:
On 2009-07-29 15:23, Nanime Puloski wrote:
What are some differences between arrays and matrices using the Numpy
library? When would I want to use arrays instead of matrices and vice
versa?

You will want to ask numpy questions on the numpy mailing list:

  http://www.scipy.org/Mailing_Lists

An overview of how the matrix subclass differs from ndarray, see the documentation:

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/arrays.classes.html#matrix-objects

Basically, I suggest that you just use regular arrays always. There is a syntactical convenience to matrix objects, but it does cause incompatibilities with the majority of code that is written for regular arrays. The convenience is usually not worth the cost.

Numpy's arrays can have any dimensionality, whereas matrices[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_%28mathematics%29], typically have two. A single column can represent a vector or a single row can represent a transposed vector.

Does the additional cost arise because the commonly used procedures are accessed through numpy's array?

Colin W.