I'm not exactly sure what the term for this would be, but I was
wondering if there were any Python packages that supported some kind
of ad-hoc message broadcasting. What I'd like to do is something like
this:

* On a number of workhorse machines, a process listens for network
messages from our broadcast service. It subscribes to a certain sub-
set of them and will only respond to the messaging events that it is
subscribed to.
* Any machine can broadcast a message out to the network of machines
without specifying an IP address.
* Machines can come and go. Since messages are not directly sent to a
specific IP address from our Python script, the messages are simply
broadcasted to those who are there to listen. If nobody is subscribed
to the message type being sent, nothing happens.

I know XML-RPC and other friends are an option, but I'm looking for
something that doesn't require managing a set of IP addresses or
hostnames. I'm not sure what to Google for such a package/module, any
direction would be greatly appreciated.