Xavier Ho wrote:
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Dave Angel <da...@ieee.org> wrote:

<snip>
Thanks for those pointers.
For example, I see a single message containing typically around 10
attachments.  I do the reply-all to one of these attachments, and it handles
the message body okay, the To/CC fields okay,

What do you mean 10 attachments? O_o. I know some people like to attach a
company logo in their signature. (The Aussie DLF list people do that heaps.
Although some people post a hand-written sig in the attachment ... I'm not
sure how smart that is, but I've seen it done.) Where are you getting these
"attachments"?

The message is a "digest" containing between 1 and 20 messages. The "index" is in the main message, and all the actual messages are encoded as attachments. I also see actual attachments, and sometimes signatures as attachments. But the ones I'm talking about have extension .eml.
I haven't tried reply-all yet. May give that a try next time and see what
pops up in the To: address.

usually adds an extra RE: on the subject (so it becomes RE: RE: subject).

Gmail doesn't do that. Yay! (Re: is dumb anyway, and you can't prepend Re:
forever. Fwd: is reasonable.)

If I have a direct message with a Re: at the beginning, Thunderbird does not add an extra one to my reply subject. Only when I'm doing it on one of these attachments.
<snip>
 I didn't know ** marks bold. Does __ mark underline? Those are cool things
I never hear about. Thanks!

I don't know about any others other than *bold* text. And I don't know if it shows up in everyone's viewer that way, or just some.

DaveA