Mel wrote:
My poster-child use of `is` is a MUDD game where `reference1_to_player is reference2_to_player` , if True, means that both refer to the same in-game player. Even that might not last.

Well, that usage is fine; I can't see any circumstances under which it might change. `is` works when you really _do_ want to check whether two objects are the same. For builtin or routinely used objects, however, this is almost never useful. Comparing two Player objects to see if they're one and the same actual object is fine. Comparing two ints or strs to see if they're the same object is pretty much never useful. The other canonical use of `is` would be comparison to `None`, which is also perfectly appropriate.

--
Erik Max Francis && m...@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
 San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Skype erikmaxfrancis