On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:18:09 -0700, Mensanator wrote:

> All I wanted to do is split a binary number into two lists, a list of
> blocks of consecutive ones and another list of blocks of consecutive
> zeroes.
>
> But no, you can't do that.

> ['', '', '1', '', '', '', '11', '']
>
> Ok, the consecutive delimiters appear as empty strings for reasons
> unknown (except for the first one). Except when they start or end the
> string in which case the first one is included.
>
> Maybe there's a reason for this inconsistent behaviour but you won't
> find it in the documentation.

Wanna bet? I'm not sure whether you're claiming that the behavior
is not specified in the docs or the reason for it. The behavior
certainly is specified. I conjecture you think the behavior itself
is not specified, because your description of what's happening,

"consecutive delimiters appear as empty strings for reasons
> unknown (except for the first one). Except when they start or end the
> string in which case the first one is included"

is at best an awkward way to look at it. The delimiters
are not appearing as empty strings.

You're asking to split  '0010000110' on '0'.
So you're asking for strings a, b, c, etc such that

(*) '0010000110' = a + '0' + b + '0' + c + '0' + etc

The sequence of strings you're getting as output satisfies
(*) exactly; the first '' is what appears before the first
delimiter, the second '' is what's between the first and
second delimiters, etc.