On 2009-10-23 05:54 AM, Filip Gruszczyński wrote:
That being said, I still stick with optparse. I prefer the dogmatic
interface that makes all my exe use the exact same (POSIX) convention. I
really don't care about writing /file instead of --file

I would like to keep POSIX convention too, but just wanted
OptionParser to do the dirty work of checking that arguments are all
right for me and wanted to know the reason, it doesn't.

I guess I should write a subclass, which would do just that.

If you don't want to allow /file, just don't use it. argparse's default is to only allow --options and not /options. You can configure it to do otherwise, but you are in complete control. Your programs will all follow the same convention.

I highly, highly recommend argparse over optparse.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco