Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
Anthra Norell wrote:

I have a Python program that needs to copy files around. I could read
and write which would be inefficient and would time-stamp the copy. The
module "os" has lots of operating system functions, but none that copies
files I could make out reading the doc twice. The function "os.system
('copy file_name directory_name')" turns out doesn't do anything except
flashing a DOS command window for half a second. So my question is: How
can one copy files on the OS level?
   This simple question would surely have been asked many times before.
Not to impose on anyone's patience I expect it can be answered between
two sips of coffee.

Thanks very much

Did you take a look at the shutil-module?

Diez
No, I didn't. There's a number of modules I know by name only and shutils was one of them. A quick peek confirmed that it is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you very much for the advice.

Frederic