From:
Leif Biberg Kristensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: May 1, 2005 2:13:43 PM EDT
To: python-list@python.org
Subject: Re: My personal candidate for QOTW (was: Python interpreter in Basic or a Python-2-Basic translator.)

Cameron Laird skrev:

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Engineer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
.
The security 'droids have decided that since the MS Office Suite is a
"standard" application then software written in MS Office VBA must be
"safe." Any other development environments (such as Java, Perl,
.
.
.

This is clear evidence supporting the theory that being in charge of
security and being able to think have no significant correlation.

And, yes: +1 QOTW from me, too.
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen

I see it every day. The "hangers-on" have too much invested in the MS quagmire to consider anything else. It's a political thing, and yes yet another example of Plato's "Allegory of the Cave." For example, a major financial institution offers their active trader application on Windows only, citing "security" considerations. Stamping the MS Office Suite and VBA a standard is reminiscent of HR department policy - of course you know what floats to the top in corporate (as well as government) ranks.

QOTW? Only for lack of anything more original (no disrespect intended :~)

Lee C
"God save us from those that would save us" -- my grandmother c1945

PS: Though I stick with mostly Unix anymore, I do know there are "software engineers" valiantly employing Python (in their toolbag) in the MS environment.