En Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:18:48 -0300, Alf P. Steinbach <al...@start.no> escribió:

I thought it would be prudent to install 3.1.1 for Windows from scratch, so I uninstalled everything (CPython, ActivePython), and then installed Python 3.1.1.
In the "Advanced" option I told the installer to compile packages.
The compiler then found a few syntax errors apparently in some text conversion test programs, and finally a message box popped up saying that "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package",

Did you install it over an existing directory, that might contain modules intended for a previous version, e.g. c:\python?

Even if you uninstall Python, the uninstaller removes *only* the files *it* copied; everything else is left alone. This includes modules/libraries/packages that you may have installed in the past. Libraries written for any 2.x version are not compatible with the new 3.x syntax; if any of those libraries exist in the directory where you install 3.1.1, you get an error like yours.

OK, I'll try again /without/ asking it to compile. I'm just reporting this so that whoever needs to know knows (including maintainers and people wanting to install this).

The best place to report bugs is http://bugs.python.org/

--
Gabriel Genellina