On Oct 30, 2:07 pm, "Alf P. Steinbach" <al...@start.no> wrote:
> * bartc:
>

> > Python has a lot of baggage which is OK if that's what's going to be
> > used, but otherwise is unnecessary confusion: where to put the program
> > code (typed in live or in a file, or some combination); whether to call
> > the file .py or .pyw; the difference between console and graphical
> > programs and so on.
>
> Hi.
>
> I forgot or decided not to really answer this part earlier, so...
>
> First of all, note that nothing of this is specific to Python.
>
> (1)
> "Where to put the program (typed in live or in a file)".
>
> This is common to all languages that offer interpreted execution.
>
> It is a feature, not a problem: in *addition* to putting your statements in a
> file for later execution, i.e. in addition to creating ordinary programs, you
> can explore the effects of statements by typing them at the interpreter.
>
> Storing the statements in a file is to create a "program" in the usual sense.
>
> Typing statements at the interpreter is just interactive use of the
> interpreter.
> Depending on the phase of the moon, one's shoe size and other factors <g>,
> what's typed may be called a "program". But it's not a program in the usual
> sense, it's not a stored program: it's just interactive use of the
> interpreter.

Unless you type something like:

>>> def Collatz(n):
        while n>1:
                if n%2 == 0:
                        n //= 2
                else:
                        n = 3*n + 1
                print(n)

which *IS* a stored program. It's just stored in RAM and will
be lost on shutdown if not specifically saved.

Even a single line is a "stored" program in the sense that you
can put your cursor on the line and hit return to repeat the
execution, so obviously, it's stored somewhere.