Hi All,

Apologies for the cross post, but I'm not sure this has received the publicity it deserves...

PyPI grew a commenting and rating system a while back, apparently in response to requests from users. However, since it's been rolled out, there's been a backlash from package maintainers who already have mailing lists, bug trackers, etc for their packages and don't want to have to try and keep track of yet another support forum.

The arguments for and against are listed here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPIComments

To resolve the future of the commenting and rating system, a vote has been set up so everyone can have their say.

To vote, please log in to:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi

...and follow the instructions you'll be presented with.

I would like to remain neutral on this, and for me that means giving package authors the ability to choose whether they want to receive comments, ratings or neither rather than either forcing package authors to accept comments and ratings or abandoning the idea of comments and ratings completely.

The closest option to that is:

"Allow package owners to disallow comments (ratings unmodified)"

I hope the majority of you feel the same way...

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk